- To seize opportunities created by digital disruption, but avoid wasting time on lemons
- The simple version of how ransomware works, what it costs, and how to avoid the “Suckers List”;
- That data breaches-with or without ransomware- are inevitable, and how to be ready when it happens to your business;
- Two simple required steps that make it much harder for attackers to use your business to commit Electronic Funds Transfer Fraud; and
- Real-world examples of the significant competitive advantage created by legally defensible cybersecurity/privacy practices
- Fun facts: I’ve written a book that I can’t read, and given a presentation while sleeping!
- Click here for a more detailed bio-because I know some of you want the details 😉
CEO + Founder
LMN Legal Consulting LLC
Founder with more than 20 years serving as lead outside cybersecurity, enterprise risk and privacy counsel
- defending organizations facing cybersecurity and privacy incidents; and
- proactively providing legal advice to help C-Suite executives identify and seize opportunities, while prudently reducing risks and enhancing legal
As lead outside counsel, Lori has defended and resolved more than 1,000 breaches and ransomware incidents.
As lead outside counsel, Lori built strong legal defenses into responding to the largest cybersecurity incident in her client ‘s market sector. She used these defenses to settle a $6.5 billion class action for less than six figures . Related investigations by more than 20 state and federal regulators closed without fines, penalties or corrective actions.
Lori also regularly is involved in buy-side and sell-side mergers and acquisitions, providing cybersecurity and privacy legal perspective to:
- help sell-side clients take cost-effective cybersecurity/privacy steps designed to enhance their ability to retain valuation when obtaining funding
- help buy-side clients rapidly determine seller’s cybersecurity/privacy posture, so that focus can shift to determining the time and cost to swiftly move the target from its current state to meet the buyer’s risk tolerance
- address urgent cybersecurity/privacy concerns that may derail a
Two weeks before closing an $8.7 billion acquisition of a publicly traded corporation with over 1,000 retail locations, the buyer’s team discovered that the seller’s key employee was mistaken–none of the seller’s retail locations were PCI compliant. It looked like the deal would not close. Lori was brought in to help. She worked collaboratively with key employees, an external IT consultant, and buyer’s counsel. A solution emerged. Locations rapidly were updated to attain PCI compliance on a rolling basis, with incentives and protections. The deal closed on time.
Lori has given presentations throughout the United States, in Europe, and Japan. She enjoys engaging with groups of all sizes, providing legal perspective, updates and training in a variety of public venues, and in private sessions for executives, boards of directors, and other stakeholders.
Because of the flexibility that LMN Legal Consulting LLC provides, Lori also is able to customize options for individuals or groups, adding her perspective to others’ to help them accelerate achieving their goa ls. Options include scheduled hour-long session(s) to address a particular issue or concern, helping leaders evaluate or re-prioritize cybersecurity/privacy goals and work plans (including meeting changing budgetary needs), providing support to individuals who don’t have as much time for cybersecurity/privacy as they’d prefer, and serving as a resource helping emerging cybersecurity/enterprise risk/privacy leaders accelerate growth and attain their goals.
Lori has unique insight . Her perspective helps operational teams, senior management, and boards of directors improve their organization’s cybersecurity, enterprise risk, and privacy legal defensibility.
Awards and Recognition:
International Association of Privacy Professionals, CIPP /US, CIPP /E, and CIPM certifications
Listed, D Magazine, “Best Lawyers in Dallas–Computer Technology,” 2017
Listed, Leading Lawyers Network, 2015-2016
Listed, Business Insurance magazine, “Woman to Watch,” 2006
Listed, Best’s Review, “People to Watch,” 2002